Skip to main content

Game Design Document

Hi Guys,

Welcome back to my blog, today I will be talking about my game design document. I use Dunroc to build a basic document which you can view here.

For my Game Design Document I am going to focus on the important parts of the game.

First one is Story. The story behind the game is the most important part as you can't have a game without a story line. My story is about the player, they can create their own character and build their city to what ever way they want too. They have to do certain tasks everyday to earn money to buy things. My game will be a single player game. The aim of the game is to gain experience, unlock different levels and build an empire. 

Second one is Characters. The player can have multiple characters if they would like, its all up to them. They can design what the character is going to look like too from their clothing to body type to hair style. Everything! I want the player to have fun creating there own world. Each character will have there own personality.

Third one is Environment. It is up to the player how many different places they create. They could only have one if they life and develop it to the best of their ability. I want players to make a world which they would want to live in themselves. Its important for me that this aspect is correct or else it will throw the whole game apart. 

Fourth one is Art description. Not going to lie I actually had to look up different examples of art descriptions for game as I had no idea it was a thing! In my game I want it to be set in a city, so streetlight colours, high buildings, trees, greenery etc. 

Image result for city street unity
(Screenshot of what I mean by streetlight colours)

Fifth one is Sound. For me I think that this is also very important as you need sound in a game. Nobody ever plays a game in silence, you need that background music to be playing. For me I want the background sound to be the sounds of cars and people talking and the sound of footsteps. When i think of a busy city these are the sound I think of.
When the player is in a house the background is going to be quite, maybe some gentle music playing in the background, maybe the sound of a television or the sound of the character chatting to someone. 

Sixth one is User Guide & Controls. What is a game without instructions? What is a game without controls? Well my game is going to be desktop and mobile friendly so you can use it on any device. If the player is using the desktop they will be able to make there character do things by the click of there mouse, I also want for them to be able to use the up/down/left/right keys on the keyboard as some people may prefer that. For mobile they will be able to play the game with the touch of there fingers. They would be able to freely move around their characters and there world. 

From my feedback from Shaun last week he did make me realize that this might be a hard game to make. I took some time by researching different things on google and found these links that ill use to help me build my game on unity. 


Overall I feel since doing this game design document I have a mot lore knowledge of what I need to put into my game. After finding different tutorials on YouTube I also feel more confident in making my game. 

Hope your enjoyed reading!

-EH

Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth

    I love the idea of letting the gamer/player be able to fully customize their character , as well as i also love the setting being in a city as i feel you can really take advantage of sound effects in that case when it comes to things such as cars, construction, people, etc.

    Looking forward to seeing how this game progresses in the cooming weeks

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth,

    First of all I love your blog style, it feels very nice and bright to look at.

    Secondly your game ideas are very good. I think its cool that the characters are custamizable, personally growing up playing games, this was a very important thing that I felt should be in more games.

    From the sounds of it the game will be similar to sims, which might be a challenge. However you seem to have a good plan on what to do and how you want the game to look.

    Wishing the best for this game
    I look forward to reading more from you.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth I love the sound of your game it sounds like you put a lot of thought into it!
    The layout of it seems really appealing to the eye and bright, which I think is important to a game.
    I would give a small suggestion and maybe add 4/5 tasks to complete as 3 might be too little (unless the tasks are difficult) which then makes sense if you have 3 tasks. I dont really understand what you mean by tasks? Will they be tasks such as 'you have to reach this location in this amount of time' or 'go to the shop and get this before it closes' Sorry I just dont really understand it. I can see that you put in a lot of time into this document and it seems very well laid out, I can see what your goal is with the game and the layout is very simple to navigate around. Hope the game goes well for you I cant wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    I LOVE YOUR GAME IDEA. I used to play The Sims a lot when I was younger and my favourite part was building the houses and improving the town around me. Your game takes my favourite parts of this and makes it it's own thing.

    I would also be concerned on the difficulty level of actually creating the game as (for most of us) it's our first time using Unity.

    All that aside I really love your idea and I can't wait to play it once you've finished (I better be the first!)

    All the best

    James.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi liz

    I really like your idea for your game and it looks great so far. I hope your game is working the way you want it to and that your able to come over any problems your having. Making a game is hard and takes up a lot of time. Have fun and good luck with it

    Jamie gannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz,

    I really like you blog and your game idea, reminds me of sims for some reason. Now I really want to play Sims ! I do agree with Shaun that you game sounds hard to make, but hopefully you'll be able to overcome the challenges and make a banger of a game !

    Anyway this is the last time I'm going to writing on your blog, So Happy Holidays and I hope to see you next semester !!

    Y.I.S.
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to me being me!

I never know how to write about myself. I always feel so embarrassed and I don't know why😅 Like last year when Margret asked us to do a video about ourselves, I wanted to cry as I never know what to say about myself without sounding big headed! So here comes the cringe fest.... My name is Elizabeth, I am 23 years old and I was born and bred in Maynooth. It is a nice a place but now its just full of college students who are taking over (I know i'm a college student but these people are from the country you know)😂.           I still live at home with my mum and recently my boyfriend Dan has moved in with us as well. I have a sister Meaghan who is getting married next year to her fiancee Lesley. In the last couple of years we have also gotten in contact with my half sister, so our family just keeps on growing which is great.  We are a very close family and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am very lucky to have such amazing people to be there for me when ever I need

Beta.... Well not really!

Hey Guys, Welcome back to my blog, It's been a long week, thank god we only have one more week left!  So all week I have been working on my game, unfortunately I got the code working but I have way to many errors popping up which means it wont make my character move! My coins are working, my wind-zone is working and so is my sky-box but the most important bloody part wont! I have created so many different character and entered the code which is needed for each of them and none of them will work!  I also think one of my problems is that my world is too large with to many different effects going on through out it. I know what your going to say... "delete some of it" but that is not an option as I lost my first game and had to start it all over again so honestly I am petrified to touch it and delete things I don't really need.  (screenshot from my own unity)  (screenshot of my own unity) (screenshot of my own unity) As you can see from