Skip to main content

My Prototype!

Hi Guys,

Welcome back to my blog, today I will be talking and showing you my prototype for my game. After having a chat with Shaun I've decided to pull my game back to basics as I think I was trying to challenge myself to much and just ended up way to stressed which is not good! So just a quick recap - I wanted to make a Sims like game but now I'm thinking of making a game which is like a maze. So the character will have to follow different paths to collect gems which will boost their score. 

The more I think about the whole gaming situation I honestly don't know why I thought I was going to be this amazing Game Designer over night and I was just putting way to much pressure on myself! 

So now my PROTOTYPE! for my new game......

First off here is the map of my world, the character will start in the house in the middle of the island, it will then have to follow the trail going through different woodland areas, through mountain ranges and over small rivers to collect different coloured gems, each gem you collect will have a different score range. 

(picture of my map)

I want my game to be a challenge but also easy to follow. The character which you will be playing will dressed as an adventure and you will have a choice whether you want to be male or female. 
I have decided I am not going to add objects such as weapons as I am still finding it difficult to get the Script working so I'm not putting that stress on me to get it to work! 

Each week as I learn new things with unity I am becoming more comfortable being able to add different elements into my game. I have set myself mini goals each week such as creating different elements one at a time, by doing this I don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that still needs to be done to the actual again. I am happy with my process so far. 


(screenshot of my own personal unity)

Above I have attached a screenshot of my unity, I am slowly making my way through it, I'm not rushing as I know I need time to add the different elements to make sure the game works correctly.

Overall I am now enjoying making my game and I am looking forward to seeing the final product in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for reading guys and I will speak to you all very soon!

-EH





Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    I really like the simplicity behind your game- though its concept is simple, the map you drew up as part of your level design looks very diverse and engaging to the player. I love the concept of being able to go down different paths and that the gems have varying points, it makes the game more interesting and adds more replayability!

    A question I have in regards to this game; is there a minimum base score required to complete the game, or is it completeable regardless of score? You mention the gems have different points which add to the final score, but is the score there simply as a ranking factor or does it impact the outcome of the game?

    One suggestion I have is to add a timer feature to your game- have the players collect a certain amount of gems/points within a set time limit, and if they don't it triggers a game over. I feel that currently your game, from its description, lacks difficulty and adding this feature would make the game more high stakes and engaging to play.

    Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
    - Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elizabeth,

    I'm glad you decided to step back and make your game basic so you will avoid unnecessary stress because i'm sure you a lot of it at the moment. I think to make a game like sims would be very challenging and will cause some difficulty so I'm happy for you that you decided to make a maze like game with a bit of adventure in it which to me sounds fun to me. I think its amazing that you're adding gems in the game as coin boost, but i have to ask will you have a scoreboard or something like that on the top the screen so you will know what your score is or how many gems you have collected . Just an idea incase you didn't think of it. I just want to wish you the best of luck with this game, I think it has good idea behind it and I just want to say I enjoyed reading your blog.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    I've just had a read over some of your project-related blog posts and I love your ideas and your development! Although the ideas at the beginning were amazing, I can completely agree with the fact that you developed your idea into something a lot more doable. I've never actually played the sims in my entire life (I know, everybody hates me for it) but I do find the whole concept of it very intriguing.

    Also, so sorry to hear that your game won't be playable, I love the idea that you have, and your map looks amazing, I would have loved to see it fully functioning. But, that is a lot of expectation for a newcomer to game design so I don't blame you at all! You've definitely put a lot of effort into this project, and the effort is what matters, so well done!

    I can't wait to read more.

    BLC Blogging

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to me being me!

I never know how to write about myself. I always feel so embarrassed and I don't know why😅 Like last year when Margret asked us to do a video about ourselves, I wanted to cry as I never know what to say about myself without sounding big headed! So here comes the cringe fest.... My name is Elizabeth, I am 23 years old and I was born and bred in Maynooth. It is a nice a place but now its just full of college students who are taking over (I know i'm a college student but these people are from the country you know)😂.           I still live at home with my mum and recently my boyfriend Dan has moved in with us as well. I have a sister Meaghan who is getting married next year to her fiancee Lesley. In the last couple of years we have also gotten in contact with my half sister, so our family just keeps on growing which is great.  We are a very close family and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am very lucky to have such amazing people to be there for me when ever I need

Game Design Document

Hi Guys, Welcome back to my blog, today I will be talking about my game design document. I use Dunroc to build a basic document which you can view  here . For my Game Design Document I am going to focus on the important parts of the game. First one is Story. The story behind the game is the most important part as you can't have a game without a story line. My story is about the player, they can create their own character and build their city to what ever way they want too. They have to do certain tasks everyday to earn money to buy things. My game will be a single player game. The aim of the game is to gain experience, unlock different levels and build an empire.  Second one is Characters . The player can have multiple characters if they would like, its all up to them. They can design what the character is going to look like too from their clothing to body type to hair style. Everything! I want the player to have fun creating there own world. Each character will ha

Beta.... Well not really!

Hey Guys, Welcome back to my blog, It's been a long week, thank god we only have one more week left!  So all week I have been working on my game, unfortunately I got the code working but I have way to many errors popping up which means it wont make my character move! My coins are working, my wind-zone is working and so is my sky-box but the most important bloody part wont! I have created so many different character and entered the code which is needed for each of them and none of them will work!  I also think one of my problems is that my world is too large with to many different effects going on through out it. I know what your going to say... "delete some of it" but that is not an option as I lost my first game and had to start it all over again so honestly I am petrified to touch it and delete things I don't really need.  (screenshot from my own unity)  (screenshot of my own unity) (screenshot of my own unity) As you can see from